IRS Watermarked Schedule-1 "Proof of Payment"
Form 2290, Federal Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT), is an annual federal highway use tax paid to the federal Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on vehicles operating on public highways at a gross weight of 55,000 lbs. and greater. The federal government distributes revenues back to the states for highway construction and maintenance projects.
Tax Form 2290 is filed with the IRS with the vehicle details such as the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), Gross Weight Category and type of use. Tax2290.com will automatically do the math on the tax amount you owe, which you can pay electronically using Direct Debit or EFW, EFTPS, Credit or Debit Card and Check or Money Order payment options.
When you complete filing your Federal Vehicle Use Tax Form 2290 with the IRS electronically, IRS would validate your tax return and accepts it, as a token of acceptance it would return you a digital Watermarked Schedule-1 “Proof for Payment” PDF with IRS e-File logo and receipt date watermarked on it.
Where you need IRS Schedule-1 Proof?
- Generally, states will require verification of payment of the tax for any taxable vehicle before they will register the vehicle. Use the stamped copy of Schedule 1 as proof of payment when registering vehicles with the state, DMV or DOT or other federal bodies.
- Even for a Tax Exempt vehicle, Form 2290 must be reported with nil tax and Schedule-1 copy needs to be presented for vehicle registration. In this case vehicle exempt is indicated in the Schedule-1 receipt with a Suspended Category “W”.
- Require copy of stamped Schedule 1 when you lease or contract the truck.
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection also requires this proof of payment for entering a Canadian or Mexican vehicle into the United States.
- Claiming a refund on a tax paid on a taxable vehicle under Overpaid tax Dues.
How to print the Form 2290 Schedule-1 Copy?
- Watermarked Schedule 1 copy is a must to register your vehicle with the state authorities, and you need to take a print out of this receipt as a proof of payment of tax 2290, vehicle use tax.
- Make sure the IRS e-File watermark and the receipt date are legible in the printed copy.
- Darken the printer or use a different printer if in case the e-file watermark and the date of receipt are not legible.
- In case if the state authority is not accepting your watermarked Schedule-1 Proof of Payment, talk to our Support Desk to have this addressed instantly.
Keep records for all taxable highway vehicles registered in your name for at least 3 years after the date the tax is due or paid, whichever is later. They must be available at all times for inspection by the IRS. Also keep copies of all returns and schedules you have filed. Keep your records even if a vehicle is registered in your name for only a portion of a period. If the tax is suspended on a highway motor vehicle for a period because its use on public highways during the period didn’t exceed 5,000 miles (7,500 miles for agricultural vehicles), the registrant must keep the records at least 3 years after the end of the period to which the suspension applies.
Record Keeping is easy, simple and safe when you file it online at Tax2290.com, we'll be securely handling your records such as the Tax Form 2290 PDF, IRS Scheule-1 PDF etc. you can access it whenever you have a need just by signing in your user account.